Sunday 29 June 2014

T1 - Origamic tessellaions

It was one of those days when I was jobless in the evening and wanted to do some origami! That's when I remembered watching some interesting Parametric folds by Ron Resch. It is amazing how he creates many paper tessellations! I was very eager to try one of those so I grabbed an a3 sheet and started folding so as to get approximate squares on my sheet. 


I made sure all the square boundaries were Ridges. Now my a3 sheet had 192 squares(12 x 16 ). once my ridge folds were clean enough, I started on my valley folds to create water bombs around a square. My sheet looked something like the one below!





Yea I know you can barely make out but I was too excited to fold than to click another. I started pressing in the ridges and valley folds to make my water bombs. The following images in sequence shall explain how my parametric folding trial turned out!





Now you can very well see the highlighted squares and the water bombs in between. The most interesting part is to see the folds from below. Just like imagining it to be a roof form and watching how its interiors would look like.





Its amazing how interesting tessellations can be produced from basic paper folds. Although this method is very primitive compared to softwares available in the market to generate a variety of organic forms and tessellations; but some great work has been able to come out from this  traditional method!
Hoping to do many more tessellations soon and also doing the same on a much larger scale!

Nazish

No comments:

Post a Comment